The quarantine continues. What will happen to the Golf season?

Forced vacations in world Golf are being extended. On March 12, the PGA tour postponed the tournaments for four weeks, canceling the Players super tour that had already begun (golfers were only able to play one round). A few days later, the number of canceled competitions increased to eight, and two “majors” were rescheduled. It should be noted that we are now only talking about the PGA tour: in other tours, such as the Korn Ferry Tour (“challenge tour”), PGA Tour Champions, PGA Tour Latinoamerica, PGA Tour Canada and PFA Tour Series China, competitions are also not held.

First, the PGA tour leaders announced the postponement of the masters, and then the PGA of America (this is the organization that holds the PGA Championship) reported that their “major” will not take place in the scheduled time. It was scheduled to take place from may 14 to may 17 in California. “Throughout the entire period, we follow the recommendations of local public health authorities. Given that all residents of San Francisco now have to stay in their homes, postponing the tournament is the best solution for all parties,” said PGA of America CEO Seth woch. “We are in close contact with PGA tour Commissioner Jay Monahan and our other partners and friends on the PGA tour to find another date for the tournament that would suit everyone. We also talk to the mayor of San Francisco. I hope that we will be able to hold the PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park in the summer, when it will be safe, ” woch added.

Commissioner Monahan himself said that it was very difficult for him to inform their managers about the cancellation of tournaments. “They work all year round to hold their championship. This is working within their cities and States, working with players. Such tournaments are extremely important for the regions where they are held. The other thing is that when I have to talk to them, the news of the cancellation is no longer very surprising. We all get information, we all want to make the right decisions together. This situation is really unique, I’m talking about how quickly things are changing.”

It is impossible to say exactly how and when all the tournaments will be held. This season, with the Olympics and the Ryder Cup in mind, was already going to be very busy, and now the task of preserving all the tournaments and holding them in a limited period of time seems even more difficult. However, Englishman Paul Casey does not mind at all if the “majors” will go after each other. “If we don’t risk anyone’s health by holding tournaments, and if the situation allows us to do so, then let’s try to play as many majors as possible. I don’t care how screwed up the schedule is if we have to play three majors in a short space of time. That’s fine with me. I want to win a major, so why not? Maybe I will have an opportunity to win one of these tournaments, ” Casey said.

At the moment, there is one known case of a positive test for coronavirus among golfers. South African Victor Lange passed the test at the end of the Estrella del Mar Open, which was held in South Africa, as a precautionary measure. It is reported that Lange accompanied a friend to the doctor and decided to take the test. On March 17, it became known that the result for the coronavirus was positive. The golfer has no symptoms. Lange is expected to make a full recovery. And some golfers continue to play now. Surprisingly, a three-round mini-tour tournament was held in Arizona, which was attended by 27 athletes. It was won by Anna Nordqvist, who is ranked 95th in the world ranking. PGA tour stars don’t stop playing either: Justin Thomas and rickie Fowler had several one-on-one rounds. So, on Thursday, they decided to arrange a “left-handed Tournament” and played only with the left hand: Fowler struck out 94 shots and was seven points ahead of his compatriot.